Monday, January 18, 2010

The problem is.....

Okay, I admit it. I have a problem. My friend Barb recently told me that there might need to be an intervention. You see, I buy a lot of books.....

I am always on the look out for a new author to follow or picking up a book that will "be perfect for book club". I buy books on line, I buy books in stores, I get books from friends that don't want them any more, boxes of books from auction sales - heck, I've even picked them up at garage sales. (probably the only thing I've ever bought at a garage sale) Everywhere I look there is a book that is still needing to be read.

I'm not selfish with my books. I'm happy to loan them out to people as long as I know they will be returned in the shape they left me in. I can't stand to loan to people who break the spine of my books or dog ear them or GOD FORBID highlight passages. Please be respectful or buy your own.

I am sitting here now, typing away, trying to ignore the ever growing pile by my computer that need to be read. I mean, where do I start? They all look good or I wouldn't have purchased them in the first place! Do I go with the current thriller? Maybe a good, solid classic is in order? Or there is the one I picked up that won the Pulitzer or that series my sister has been tearing through.......oh, the endless possibilities!

Does any one have a suggestion? Here is what I'm considering:

Her Perfect Symmetry
Olive Kitteridge
Ford County
Anna Karenina
Alex Cross's Trial
Five Quarters of the Orange
Hotel on the Corner of Bitter & Sweet
Of Bee's and Mist
Twilight

You see the problem is not that I buy too many books, it's that I have to work to support my habit and run out of time to read them!! What were you thinking my problem was? (Actually, don't answer that)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, the only one I've read is Alex Cross's trial - that is a quick read. I liked it, really there didn't need to be a tie into Alex Cross - the book would have stood on it's own, but that would be my place to start...:)

Sherry said...

Ok, to be honest, I have not read any of those books, but since I have a 13 year old girl I'm going to say Twilight . . .she has read and re-read that book several times and I'm tempted to pick it up myself. Good luck making a selection!