Sunday, January 10, 2010

I feel like a traitor

Well, I've finally done it. I swore I never would.

I have always loved books. Ever since I was a baby I have loved them. I remember well my dad reading the Little House on the Prairie series to me every night before I went to bed. I remember getting lost in the story of the young girl living in a time I could only imagine. Wondering about the drawings that accompanied the chapters. We once even took a trip to Desmet, South Dakota to take in a the Laurie Ingalls Wilder play.

I left Laura and moved on to Nancy Drew and Trixie Belden. I couldn't wait to go to a "big town" so that I could get the next book in the series. I never asked for toys or candy when we on a shopping trip. I always asked for a book. I couldn't wait to get into the car for the drive home and bury my face in chapter one.

I think of myself as a pretty accomplished reader. I've ventured off into many genres. I love the touch and feel of books. I prefer hard cover to paperbacks. If I have to buy the paperback I would rather get the trade paper size then the traditional. I have been lost for days in Barnes and Noble, Borders or B. Dalton. It has been a life long dream of mine to have a library room in my house.

So.....it came as a great surprise to me when I decided to buy an electronic reader. I'm not sure if I'll be able to adapt but I see the writing on the wall. As much as I love paper books I also love technology. E-readers are the way of the future. My Nook will be shipped to me February 12th.

The techie in me is excited for this new adventure but the little girl in me is a little sad. I'm glad I got to be that little girl who was read to from real books. I'm glad I grew up then because I think being read to from a e-reader may have taken a little of the fun out of it. It's some how not quite as dreamy.

.....and I still feel a little like a traitor.

http://nook.com

2 comments:

Sherry said...

I'm anxious to hear how it goes with the "nook"! I hear you when you say how much you love the feel of books . . nothing like a big thick hardcover resting on my lap while I have some tea and just lose myself in a story. I loved Little House too and had the entire series in a cardboard yellow case that it came in . .I got it for Christmas one year and it was one of the best gifts I've ever received! When my dad would go on business trips, he'd always come back with a book for me and a toy for my "anti-book" sister! :) Now, if they could just incorporate "new book smell" into the nook, they'd be onto something!

debf012 said...

I'm excited to see the Nook. I really love my Kindle - primarily for the ease in which I can get books quick. I don't see myself every totally giving up on books, I still reread my books - electronic isn't the same, but it sure helps for storage and taking it with me. Free books are a bonus too...:)