Saturday, September 25, 2010

You've Been Banned!

National Banned Book week starts today.  As a book lover seeing these two words so close together kind of frightens me!  I'm not sure how this ever became an option.... I mean, what happened to my inalienble rights?  What happened to my right to choose?  What I find more laughable is this:  When you tell someone not to do something the natural reaction is to do it; therefore, you crazy book banning people - you've just made the book interesting for a whole pile of people who would have never read it if you didn't tell them not to.  HA!  Take that!

I am proud to say that I have read 8 of the top 10 "Most Banned Books".  I think I'll read the other 2 now just because I can!!  Take a look at the link and see how you did! http://www.ala.org/ala/issuesadvocacy/banned/frequentlychallenged/challengedclassics/index.cfm
I read an article that suggested forming a book club around books that have been banned. After looking at the list I think it's a great idea! There would be a wide variety and no shortage of material.


Here is another list of books the have been banned or challenged. Some that might surprise you.  http://news.yahoo.com/s/ac/20100924/en_ac/6827290_10_surprisingly_banned_books
With several books on this list being children's books I find  myself wondering - Do you think it would be better if your child just didn't read at all?  You could go that route too - if you think that's best.  It's YOUR job to instill morals and values in your child - not the book's.  If you teach them right from wrong they will be able to discern that while reading. I'm just saying......

Until next time - Happy Reading!! If you are looking for something to read, may I suggest starting with the #1 most banned book! It's an all time favorite of mine.

No comments: