Monday, September 20, 2010

The Oprah Factor

Did you hear the news? Oprah picked her new book!  I think you'd have to be living under a rock to not hear the big news.  Funny, I've been trying to go on a media fast, (it's a long story but trying to get the negative out of my life and frankly, the only thing that make the news is bad news, the drama.....think about it) but even in my avoidance of the news and newspapers I would have heard about Oprah's book announcement one way or another.

I have to tell you, I was disappointed on so many levels.  The book,  in case you haven't heard, is Freedom by Jonathan Franzen.  Here are a couple of my reasons: First of all, the book was already a huge seller even before the announcement.  Critics and bookworms have been waiting for it's release for months.  Secondly, the author totally disregarded his good fortune at being selected by Oprah with a previous book, The Corrections.  I think he already had one windfall because of her and I'm not sure he should get a second chance after the first book was only moderately good in the first place. 

Now, don't get me wrong.  I normally read Oprah's picks and I usually enjoy them.  I started reading them on the very first pick, The Deep End of the Ocean. I love to read and wasn't in a book club at that time, and it was a great way to be a part of a group.  Some of my all time favorite books have been Oprah selection, I Know This Much is True, White Oleander, Here on Earth, just to name a few.  I will miss the Queen of Talk when her show ends after this season.  It is just my wish that she would have picked someone new - someone unheard of, someone not already famous.....

All this said - I planned on reading Freedom even before the announcement.  I had downloaded a sample to my Nook, Gatsby, and enjoyed what I read. I am willing to give Mr. Franzen one more chance, I guess maybe that was Oprah's view too.

No comments: