Sunday, February 14, 2010

What are your reading habits?

Do you ever go on a buying spree and then run out of time to read? Or maybe you buy so many that you don't know where to start....I have these problems. Now not only to do have too many physical books to read but I have too many virtual books as well.

Do you reread your favorites? Have you ever hated a book so much and then had this amazing discussion about it and had to read it anyway? Have you ever started a book and then a year or two later finally gotten around to finishing it? If you answered yes to any of these questions raise your hand.

Or how about this one....have you ever read a book that took so much out of you that you couldn't read again for a really long time? I had that happen to me a few years ago when I read I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb. It was a long book & it took me a while to get into it but Oprah loved it so I kept reading. When I finally finished it, it had taken so much out of me emotionally that I literally didn't read another book for a year. I just couldn't imagine ever being that invested in another book.

So tell me, what are your reading habits? What pit falls do you encounter? How do you get out of a reading slump? How do you finally dig into that book that you've been putting off forever? Is there a book on your shelf that keeps calling your name? What is it and why haven't you read it? I'm curious....am I the only book lover who has to talk themselves into reading from time to time?

I leave you with this final thought. It's my favorite paragraph from I Know This Much is True. I'm not to proud to say, I read it with tears streaming down my face. Both because I found it so fitting (to the book as well as my own life) & because I had finally finished the journey.

"I am not a smart man, particularly, but one day, at long last, I stumbled from the dark woods of my own, and my family's, and my country's past, holding in my hands these truths: that love grows from the rich loam of forgiveness; that mongrels make good dogs; that the evidence of God exists in the roundness of things.
This much, at least, I've figured out. I know this much is true."

2 comments:

Jennie said...

When I was younger, I read all the time. I hardly went anywhere without a book to keep me company. Then, I just got out of the habit. Until Christmas of 2008 when Jessie gifted me with Twilight. Once I began reading that, I was off and running. I've bought more books in the last year than I've bought in the last 15. I've thanked her many times for reigniting my love for reading. My checkbook doesn't like it, but my heart and brain are pretty happy. :)

Melanie said...

Jennie,

Isn't it great to rediscover something you love?! You are welcome to the library of Melanie any time!

I still need to read Twilight. Nicole has read it and loved it too.