Thursday, February 25, 2010

This is Where I Leave You

I finished the book This is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper last night. I'm not sure if it is just because I've been reading so many books from other eras lately or if it was just that great of a book but I really enjoyed it.

The story is about the Foxman family. They are your typical dysfunctional American family. Three brothers, a sister and a mother who can't seem to remember she's past her prime. (I kept picturing Joan Collins from the Dynasty years)

The book begins with Judd, the character from who's point of view the book is written, finding out about the death of his father. The fathers dying request is that the family sit Shiva for a week. The thought of spending that much time with his family is really not what Judd is up for....you see he just found out that his wife is having an affair with his boss. Ah, the plot thickens!

Through the next week we follow Judd through coping with the death of his father, dealing with the demise of his marriage & rediscovering his crazy family. Of course the story wouldn't be complete without a bombshell delivered by his estranged wife right in the middle of it all. (As if him finding her in bed with his boss wasn't enough) Oh, and did I mention that his mother was famous for writing a book on how to raise children? You just KNOW that is going to lead no where good!

The story ends without really putting together all the answers for you. You are left to assume what you well however, it was good enough for me. I didn't find I needed all the i's dotted or t's crossed. It was a story about life & family after all & when do we really ever get to know all the answers when it comes to our own life & family?

This book is not for everyone. There are some graphic scenes and lots of language & talk about sex but I have to tell you I laughed out loud. I could just SEE these things happening. Like when Judd's little nephew came to the dinner table proudly displaying the "poop he made in the potty" you just couldn't help but visualize the scene in your own dinning room with your own family. And when the poop landed on someones plate through a series of unforeseen events....you couldn't help but wonder who's plate it would have landed on in your house. Or the time when the family went to Synagogue & somehow or another a joint appeared....you can imagine how that turned out.

I loved the Foxman family and their quirky neighbors and friends. I'm pretty sure I know them......


Four out of Five Stars

No comments: