Wednesday, October 29, 2008

THINK PINK

In these final days of Breast Cancer Awareness Month I've been reflecting on the issue. Do we know enough about this disease? Do we do enough to find a cure? Do we do enough, as woman, to prevent what we can?

When 1 out of 8 woman are effected by Breast Cancer, it's pretty safe to say that we all know someone who has gone through this. My family is no exception. The latest shock (yes, it is still a shock when someone tells you they have cancer) came just this month. The 38 year old wife of my step mom's nephew, Jenny, discovered she was already in stage 3 of a rapidly moving form. She is a bright, intelligent, loving, working mother of 3, that I'm quite certain has done nothing to deserve this news. Why?? Why in this day and age can't we do more to prevent these things?

If you are female, do self exams, keep those mammogram appointments, KNOW YOUR FAMILY HISTORY! We need to keep fighting this, we need to do what we can to prevent it. We need to know our options & be aware of our bodies. As Jenny found out, sometimes you know more when something is wrong than what will show up on a test. Believe in your instincts.

Lets keep fighting this disease. Keep donating for research. Keep the faith that we will find a cure. THINK PINK!

1 comment:

Sherry said...

I know you posted this in 2008 but felt I had to comment. My mom died in 2002 of breast cancer . . she as 62. Needless to say, my sister and I have had our share of mammograms and our daughters will as well. I will not do what my mom did . . she had an abnormal mammo and did not go back for a recheck. She let the cancer overtake her body and we lost a mom, grandma, wife, sister and friend at a very young age I think. She was young at heart and in looks as well - always dressed in "funky" clothes and the thumb rings I wear were HER thumb rings just to give you some idea that she was 62 going on 22! Get your mammos, support the cause and I hope someday there will be a cure.